.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Read Comics

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I miss Rory Root already.

I woke up this morning to find out that Rory Root, owner of Comic Relief, died yesterday. As you guys know, Comic Relief was pretty much the reason I got back into comics and Rory was a big support of my show. I was lucky enough to interview him way back for Show #23 and I loved chatting with him every chance I got. I was just thinking the other day that I needed to check with him about APE and what kind of fun stuff he had planned.

Although Rory had health issues, I always thought he'd be one of those indestructible guys who lived to be 100, laughing and limping and blazing like a ray of sunshine until he was 100.

I am very sad today. To me, Comic Relief will always be the only comic book store that matters. And that was because of Rory.

Update: the new Comic Relief website has pix and a guest book filled with memories of Rory's kindness and generosity.

1 Comments:

  • I had just seen him that weekend... We were talking about how I had given up on comics and after we finished our talk I was back to being a comic fan... all those sleepless nights putting on those first Wonder Cons conventions... All the encouragement and advice he gave when I just started Animag... I'll miss my smoking buddy...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home